Implementing Guidelines in Clinical Practice - Neck Pain
Neck pain is a common condition that has been studied extensively in the adult population. Neck pain is a common condition that physical therapist manage.
Neck pain is a common condition that has been studied extensively in the adult population. Neck pain is a common condition that physical therapist manage. The amount of research for physical therapy management is extensive which has facilitated the development of guidelines for the physical therapy management of neck pain. These guidelines will be explored in more detail in this course with instruction on the implementation of specific guidelines.
COURSE OBJECTIVES (LEARNING POINTS):
- Discuss the need for the development of guidelines
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of physical therapy guidelines
- Implement guidelines specific to physical therapist management of neck pain
1. Bier JD, Scholten-Peeters WGM, Staal JB, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline for Physical Therapy Assessment and Treatment in Patients With Nonspecific Neck Pain. Physical therapy. Mar 1 2018;98(3):162-171.
2. Blanpied PR, Gross AR, Elliott JM, et al. Neck Pain: Revision 2017. The Journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy. Jul 2017;47(7):A1-A83.
3. Childs JD, Fritz JM, Wu SS, et al. Implications of early and guideline adherent physical therapy for low back pain on utilization and costs. BMC Health Serv Res. Apr 09 2015;15:150.
4. Dragotta K, Jang B, Quinzi B, Bosco A, Clewley D. Physical therapy management of pediatric and adolescent neck pain: a call to action. Physical Therapy Reviews. Sep 3 2019;24(5):208-215.
5. Fischer F, Lange K, Klose K, Greiner W, Kraemer A. Barriers and Strategies in Guideline Implementation-A Scoping Review. Healthcare (Basel). Jun 29 2016;4(3).
6. Fritz JM, Cleland JA, Brennan GP. Does adherence to the guideline recommendation for active treatments improve the quality of care for patients with acute low back pain delivered by physical therapists? Medical care. Oct 2007;45(10):973-980.
7. Hanney WJ, Masaracchio M, Liu X, Kolber MJ. The Influence of Physical Therapy Guideline Adherence on Healthcare Utilization and Costs among Patients with Low Back Pain: A Systematic Review of the Literature. PLoS One. 2016;11(6):e0156799.
8. Shea BJ, Reeves BC, Wells G, et al. AMSTAR 2: a critical appraisal tool for systematic reviews that include randomised or non-randomised studies of healthcare interventions, or both. BMJ (Clinical research ed.). Sep 21 2017;358:j4008.