Words Matter- choosing words wisely with back pain: how to help and not harm Words Matter Trailer
This lecture will:
· Review the application of the BPS model to the management of low back pain.
· Review theoretical and research literature on psychological factors relevant to back pain (eg fear-avoidance, pain-related fear, catastrophising, self-efficacy, pain beliefs), and how language can influence these.
· Highlight the importance of language when interacting with patients and provide strategies to use purposeful language to frame manual/physical assessment and treatment.
· Critically evaluate how explanations can negatively or positively impact the multidimensional nature of back pain and recovery.
· Introduce strategies to communicate helpful messages regarding low back pain which can contribute to enhanced patient engagement, confidence and recovery..